Right, back to the tangled roots of the Doctor Who audio project called something-Proteus-something.
You might remember the background.Â Neil Marsh and I were working on a fan audiodrama where the Doctor was female.Â Fanboy dickering drove the project into a ditch twice before.Â A big popularity contest.Â Sort of like high school, only shorter.Â We moved on to Afterhell after that.
The worst of it faded into the background noise of the scriptwriting process.Â Unfortunately that was an even bigger mess.
I started on a full outline of the whole storyline, cliffhangers and all.Â Then Neil sent an e-mail, panicking.Â Forget the outline, he said.Â He could really use a script, something to show people.
I wrote the first few scripts based on what I had.Â Then he grew concerned about the plotting.Â Stop the scriptwriting.Â He wanted the outline after all.
I went back to the outline, only to get more e-mails begging for scripts.
And so on and and so on.
Neil was always nervous.Â Never satisfied.Â Whatever I gave him, he needed more.Â All this while writing Afterhell.Â Yup, he had me writing two radio series at the same time.Â And like an idiot, I went through this vicious cycle a few times, back and forth.Â Recipe for burnout.
Anyway, after the jump,Â this is the rough but completed outline for “I, Proteus.”
We continue this sordid tale of scriptwriting and fanboy intrigue. Reader discretion is advised.
For the sake of context and clarity, we’ll briefly cover the history of the project. Details behind the BBC writer/producer story-protecting jump:
Let me start with profound apologies to anyone who cares about this here empty space of mine, my personal blog. The last few years have been turbulent, full of all those things, as John Lennon once wrote, that happen while you make other plans. Personal and professional conflicts. Illness. And family losses, including my father. I wish I knew how to juggle blogging and all those other things at the time. But I’m here now.
And Facebook is one hell of a time sink. Hello, Facebook, by the way.
I return with a mission. I’m stuck with a story that probably won’t ever be produced. Two reasons. One, it’s a Doctor Who story and their writing assignments are by invitation only. The second reason: The exec producer of this fanfic project, Neil Marsh (not the showrunners of the actual BBC production), is into passive-aggressive behavior. He has run away. Rather than abandon this project yet again, I intend to finish it — here on this blog.
The next several postings will feature the work in progress. If you were ever curious how a story or a script is written (or how I write them), maybe they’ll be interesting. Normally, copyright concerns would keep me from doing something like this. But Doctor Who is a BBC property and I wouldn’t claim otherwise. This is partly an exercise to begin with, playing with somebody’s else concepts to see what can be done.
But I also wanted to prove the work was being done — and that it’s worth doing. Enablers and apologists can dismiss the work and the worth out of hand, I’m sure. They almost have to. Otherwise they’d have to re-evaluate who and what they’re enabling and excusing.
Therefore, all and sundry are on notice: If Neil insists on abandoning this project, it won’t be for lack of a great story.
Because it’ll be here, true believers. Stay tuned.